2023 REGISTRATION OPENED
RACE REGISTRATION: All race registrations will need to be done prior to race day NO REGISTRATION ON RACE DAY. Races are $40 for adults and Juniors are FREE.
Leash - leash must be secure from boat to paddler for the entirity of the race.
Bright Colored Jersey
PFD - ALL paddlers must wear a U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) approved Type I, II, III, or V Personal Flotation Device (PFD) the entire time they are paddling during EVERY MPH race. PFD's with an International Organization for Standardization (ISO) rating of ISO 12402-5 are also acceptable. (inflatable waist pack or full size PFD)
COVID - We will follow any new guidelines from CDC.
January 8th 2023
January 22nd 2023
Silverback Kihei Splash
February 5th 2023
Doug Poseley Memorial
February 18th 2023
March 4th 2023
March 18th 2023
April 1st 2023
April 8th 2023
North Shore Challenge
April 22nd 2023
May 20th 2023
Kai Wa'a Strong Maliko
NEW FOR 2023
2023 is a new season and we are able to bring back our season memberships ! MPH jerseys, post race food, festivities, medals and drawings for swag.
Event fees, as always, cover fixed costs such as safety boats, registration equipment, insurance, etc.
Timed finish results will be posted on the site as soon as they are finalized after the race so you can see how you did.
2023 RACE RULES
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY. WE WILL BE STAYING INFORMED REGARDING COVID IF CDC DECIDES ON NEW RESTRICTIONS. MPH APPRECIATES YOUR COOPERATION WITH THE 2023 SEASON RULES AND REGULATIONS SO THAT WE MAY CONTINUE RECEIVING PERMITS FOR THE RACES.
Please familiarize yourself with the Race Rules.
All participants must understand and abide by all race rules.
• REGISTRATION: Participants must register prior to the race registration deadline
• CHECK-IN: Participants must check in prior to close of registration on race day.
• OC-2, V-2, AND RELAY TEAMS: EACH paddler must register and pay separately.
• PFD IS MANDATORY FOR ALL RACES. No PFD, no racing.
• ADDITIONAL SAFETY/RESCUE AIDS: In addition to the required PFD, all participants are responsible for carrying additional safety/rescue aids such as a Personal Flotation Device (PFD), cell phone, whistle, reflective tape, Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB), mirror, air horn, smoke, etc., maintaining their devices in good working condition, and practicing their use in rough water prior to racing.
• COVID PROTOCOLS: We agree to abide by all Maui County Covid rules if there is any change during the season.
Clic HERE for the latest Maui County restrictions if any.
• DISQUALIFICATION (DQ) will be issued for:
Not wearing a leash secured from you to your boat and your PFD for entirety of your race.
Failing to attend mandatory race briefing on race day.
Not having 2023 MPH boat number stickers on both sides of boat nose & clearly visible to the race officials.
Providing wrong boat number in your race registration.
Substituting another paddler for your entry for any reason without prior MPH Race Official approval.
Escort/Safety Boat infractions.
If you are NOT registered for a race, we ask that you stay off the course during the scheduled race time. Failure to comply may result in being banned from future MPH events.
**NOTE: Second offenses for any of the above may result in being banned from future MPH races.
• TIME PENALTY(s) of 10 minutes will be issued for:
Not starting behind designated start line when the race officials start the race.
Failing to go around required turn buoy(s).
Finishing outside designated finish buoy(s) (If you are unable to due to unsafe conditions, you must notify a race official as soon possible to determine if penalty can be waived).
• BOATS & EQUIPMENT must be in good operating condition. If you question whether your equipment can handle the conditions, do not go out.
• EMERGENCY SITUATIONS: Should you or your boat become unable to continue racing for any reason, the Safety Patrol and/or Race Director may dictate abandoning your boat. Participant(s) may be taken ashore, to a medic or official boat, or whatever is deemed necessary for the safest rescue. MPH is NOT responsible for rescuing your boat or your equipment. Safety of all persons involved in the race is MPH’s priority.
• RACE JERSEY: You must wear a bright, visible jersey while racing or your 2023 MPH jersey
• BE SAFE!
Evaluate the conditions. Check the wind, currents, wave size and tidal reports. Overestimating your ability both as an open ocean paddler and swimmer puts yourself, other participants, and our escort patrol at risk. 'WHEN IN DOUBT - DON'T GO OUT!'
The Race Director has the right to alter a course, prohibit a racer from participating, or change any rule if deemed necessary for the wellbeing of participants, safety patrol, race officials and volunteers.
The Safety Patrol and Race Director have the option of pulling a participant from a race if the participant is unable to stay on course, stay in safe range of other participants, or meet the cut-off time for a given race. If you are unsure if your typical racing speed will keep you in range, check with the Race Director prior to entering the race.
• RACE CANCELLATIONS OR CHANGE OF RACE COURSE may be dictated by the US Coast Guard, DLNR, entities in control of Race Venue, MPH Board of Directors, or MPH Race Director should weather or water conditions, in their opinion, render the running of the race unsafe.
• REFUNDS: All fees are non-refundable whether due to participant cancelling their entry or MPH cancelling the race. EXCEPTION: Refund WILL be granted if MPH denies participation of paddler for any reason.
KAHULUI HARBOR GUIDELINES
RESTRICTED AREA FOR PADDLERS IN KAHULUI HARBOR